iKapa utilises artistic excellence in dance as a mechanism to create socially relevant, publicly engaging, audience-centered performances. These performances are inspired by social trends around current issues in ways that are entertaining and inspiring, and that instil an appreciation for innovative artistic creations and performances.
iKapa uses dance to positively contribute to the development and upliftment of youths in the communities of Cape Town. This artistic training and life skills development is affordable and accessible to all.
GOALS & OBJECTIVES OF IKAPA’S YOUTH DANCE DEVELOPMENT PROGRAMMES
- Transformation: To encourage, empower, educate and nurture aspiring artists from disadvantaged backgrounds and establish Arts Development Centres that feed a school of excellence, tertiary programmes and internships.
- Youth Development: To develop the physical, mental and emotional wellbeing of disadvantaged youths.
- Redress: To foster and enhance an appreciation of the performing arts in historically disadvantaged communities and developing cross-cultural learning through national and international partnerships.
- Job Creation: To offer skills training and create employment opportunities in the performing arts.
- Artistic Innovation and Arts Promotion: To reinvigorate classical dance as a vibrant performing art that entertains and delights South Africans from all walks of life, promoting the works of emerging choreographers, designers and musicians and nurturing a proudly South African brand.
- Growth and Development in the Arts: To develop a varied, world-class repertoire of classical, contemporary and physical theatre productions that are accessible, affordable and relevant to a broad South African audience.